Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Blue Sand


K's sand and water table has been a huge hit this year. He told me one day "Mama I wish I had blue sand". Very random. Just one of those things he came out with. I hadn't thought much of it until today. I was thinking of it again and decided why not give it a try. 


First we tried sidewalk chalk. It would work if I had more chalk. With the amount I had (probably a little less than one piece) it just made it look like it had blue specks through it. Being the impatient person that I am, I didn't want to wait until I could get to the store. So we moved on.

We added about 1 tablespoon of rubbing alcohol and between 10-20 drops of food coloring. Kadin tends to get a little squeeze happy with food coloring. You could adjust it for however light or dark you wanted it to be. I had him mash the sand all around until the color distributed.

We put it in the oven at 250° for about 5 minutes.


We did 2 batches and then added it to the (newly cleaned) table.

Kadin and Uncle Nicky playing with the blue sand.

4 comments:

  1. Hi Megan! I love the Blue Sand Idea :)!! I found you on baby center!! I'm following you now!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Karina! My son loves it! And I love having more followers :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is such a hearty moment seeing moms doing their best everyday to help their children grow and develop into a wonderful persons in the society.
    We owe you mothers a lot and I appreciate all that my mom did for me. Thanks Megan for sharing this post and congrats for taking the key role in bringing up your belove children. Though you don't know me, I wish to send my kisses and hugs to your children and a new friend's smile to you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you so much. That was very sweet of you. It's nice to hear positive people every now and then. My parenting style is not very popular among most of my family and friends so it's so nice to hear that there are people out there who don't think I'm crazy. :)

    ReplyDelete