Saturday, August 20, 2011

Glow Beads

Water beads that glow! It can't get much more fun than that! Except that Uncle Nicky showed up just in time to play too! Kadin could have (and would have) played with these for hours, except it was too close to bed time. We had to wait until it was dark outside for it to be dark enough to play with them. 

What we did (and I did most of this ahead of time so he wouldn't have to wait to play): I took the ink pad out of 3 highlighters and got as much to run out into the container as I could. When they stopped leaking I cut the plastic part off of the ink pad and let it soak in about an inch of water at the bottom of the container. Left it for a minute and then picked it up and squeezed as much from it as I could. I then put what was left of the ink pad into a clean bowl of water and left it there to soak and after all the ink was out I added that water to the container as well. I used 3 big highlighters (3 for $1 at the dollar store). I added more water so in total there was 1 1/2 quarts of liquid. I added the water beads and let them sit until they expanded (takes between 4-6 hours. The total cost was $3. This does require a black light. They will not glow on their own. The black light we have I bought at Target for $15. 

This is (one of many) ideas I got from Play At Home Mom. I can't say enough about them. They are amazing! Definitely check out their blog. Some awesome Mama's over there!

We "made" a light box. You can buy them, but I don't have the extra $200+ to spend on one right now (although I would love to have one). We took an under the bed storage container (It's either 34 or 36 quarts, I don't remember) and put the black light and a fluorescent light (Lowe's-$10) in it side by side. I turn on whichever light I want to use and put the cover back on. My wonderful husband is going to drill a hole in it tomorrow for the power cords to come out the side so the cover will fit on tight. Shh don't tell him. It's better to surprise him with the list of things I have for him to do this week while he's on vacation. ;)  In total it cost about $15 ($30 including the black light) and it works great and Kadin loves it. It's also small enough so it's easy to store if we don't want it out. Very easy and makes my wallet much happier. :)
 
Always more fun with Uncle Nicky. 
And another video, because I forgot which was which and I'm tired. ;)


No comments:

Post a Comment