Friday, September 30, 2011

Glow Play doh


So I'm kind of in love with the black light. It adds a great new dimension to something that can get somewhat boring. So first we made playdoh using this recipe (from Play at Home Mom):

1 c. flour
1/2 cup salt
1 T. cooking oil
1 T. cream of tartar
1 c. water
Food coloring of your choice
Add-ins of your choice (i.e. spices, extracts, glitter, etc.)
I subbed 2 T of white vinegar for the cream of tartar and I used neon tempera paint instead of food coloring so it would glow with the black light. I made 2 batches. The first I made all blue and the second I split in half and made pink and green. 

Very easy. You mix the dry ingredients and then add the wet ingredients to it. Then you heat it over medium high heat (or very high as my stove only has 2 temperatures that it will cook at :P). Stir it constantly. It only takes a few minutes and it will form into a ball. Knead it for a few minutes when it's done and it's good to go. Oh and definitely use a non stick pan ;)

Here  it is divided up so the 2 kids could each have their own. It does make quite a bit and each batch could easily be divided to make at least 2 different colors.


I purposely didn't bring them any toys to play with the play doh with. They are far more creative than I am and I wanted to see what they would come up with on their own. They didn't waste any time and ran and got themselves toys. So fun to watch their minds work. 





Some of the favorites were duplo blocks, a wooden knife, a bouncy ball, a hammer, a screwdriver, trains and plastic animals. All way more fun than the cookie cutters I probably would have handed them. ;) They had a blast and already have plans for the next batch of play doh. I believe I heard glitter was going in the next one.

No comments:

Post a Comment