Monday, January 9, 2012

Dying Pasta

Dyed pasta is something I like to always have on hand. It's great for sorting and counting and stringing. And it's so easy my 3 year can do it. ;) 
 We take a gallon sized storage bag and put about 1/4 cup of rubbing alcohol in it (I made 4 different colors out of a 1lb box. If you are using more pasta you may need more). Add between 10 and 20 drops of food coloring, depending on how dark you want the pasta. We almost always have close to 20 since Kadin is in charge of it. Zip the bag up and shake to mix the color in. Add the pasta to the bag and then double bag it. It always seems to find a way to leak when I do this even though there's no reason it should be. Let it sit for a couple hours. The longer it sits, the more vibrant the colors will be. Try to flip the bag over about every 30 minutes (I forget and it's usually about an hour between flipping and it comes out fine).

Spread the pasta out on newspaper and let it dry overnight.

 This is one box of pasta.


Then it's time to play! :)
He kept making "monsters" for me. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment